Urban Seeds was founded in 2005 as an urban community garden project. Based in Evansville, Indiana, our 501c3 non-profit organization now works to create food systems that provide access to nourishing foods for all of our community members, with a focus on locally grown produce and locally prepared foods.
We partner with schools, children’s centers, shelters, faith-based organizations, businesses and non-profits to create a healthy community, in which all of our neighbors are supported — be it as a food grower, a food producer, or a food consumer. The Evansville area is home to a deep disparity in access to nourishing food that we hope to lessen in the coming years, through community partnerships and outreach.
- Urban Seeds is the lead organization for the new Community Bulk Food Buying Club
- We provide cooking demonstrations at community events and to small and large community groups, emphasizing a “shopping and cooking on a budget” theme
- Urban Seeds has the FNS contract to administer SNAP benefits at the farmers markets
- We are a proud partner of Healthy Communities Partnership to
- pilot a pop-up farmers market at the WIC center
- offer healthy snacks at school concession stands
- create new food access points within the Promise Zone
Our Core Values
- Community Connectivity & Collaboration