Mindfulness: “Non-judgmental awareness of what is happening in the present moment”; “a place of observation”
Start with shopping
- Mindfulness around shopping and the environment
- What type of food is affordable? Favored? Familiar?
- “Buy your food from a farm, not from a factory”
- Meal planning is the key to efficient shopping!
Onto the Preparation: How does mindfulness show up in food prep?
- Go Zen!
- In other words, turn off the phone and TV!
- Admire the colors and aromas, mix with your fingers
- Share the prep with family or your sweetie or friend
And finally, Eating
- Eat What You Love
- What does eating with mindfulness look like?
- Savor the Flavor
- Sit to eat!
- Gratitude Blessing
- Inhale, observe, anticipate
- Tastes, textures, flavors
- Affirmations: “I nourish myself with a variety of foods” (i.e. there is no “good” food or “bad” food)
- Serve from the kitchen, bring plated meal to the table
- Split the meal; take home the rest
- Savor the flavor, lets your brain be on the same page as your stomach
- 80-20 Rule
- What are the benefits of eating mindfully?
- Remember the definition, and become an observer…what about finding yourself in front of the fridge at 9 o’clock at night, eating ice cream out of the container? Or eating quickly so you can have a second helping? Don’t judge, observe…Mind