- 1-pound ground beef or turkey
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 can kidney beans
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 large red, yellow, or orange pepper, chopped into chunks
- 6 – 8 large garlic cloves, cut into small pieces
- 1 large carrot, sliced thinly
- 1 large celery stalk, sliced thinly
- 2 small zucchinis, chopped into chunks
- 1 can/jar tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. basil
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- black pepper and cayenne, to taste
- finely chopped purple cabbage (as a topping)
- Warm the pot on a medium heat burner; add meat, stir to break it up; cook until browned through; remove meat to a bowl and set aside, reserving the fat drippings.
- Using the meat fat, sauté the onions and peppers for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the rest of the chopped veggies (except for the cabbage), and sauté for several more minutes until the veggies cook down but not become too soft. Stir occasionally and gently as you sauté.
- Add the canned beans and their juices, the tomato paste, and the canned tomatoes.
- Add spices to your desired taste.
The purple cabbage on top adds a lovely crunch and gorgeous color finish. Additional topping options are minced parsley and grated cheese. Yum!
Makes six 1-cup servings