For the soup:
- 1.5 cups red lentils (uncooked)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (or half water, half broth)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup spinach and/or kale, chopped)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (13.5-ounce)
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 – 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- Prep the veggies by dicing the onions and tomatoes, then de-stem the kale and chop into small strips.
- Rinse the lentils, cover with broth/water in a heavy bottomed pot, bring to a boil, turn down heat to simmer for ~20 minutes. Allow lentil to maintain a firm-ish texture without becoming too soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the cooked lentils, stir together well and bring to a boil, turn off heat to allow for passive cooking to finish.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.